By The Coast Reporter
The Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission has officially disqualified the United Democratic Party candidate Anthony Mkala Chitavi from the Mombasa gubernatorial race.
In a letter signed by the commission secretary/CEO Ezra Chiloba stated that the candidate be disqualified under Article 193 (2)(g) for abuse of a public office and contravention of chapter six of the constitution.
The letter dated June 2, 2017 was addressed to the Returning Officer Mombasa County instructing her to disqualify Chitavi from the race following a resolution by the Commission’s Integrity committee.
The letter read in part “The commission’s integrity committee held its meeting on 31st May, 2017 and discussed an EACC report on Chitavi Anthony Mkala an aspirant for Governor Mombasa County on his eligibility as a candidate”
The letter further stated that the commission considered two reasons for Chitavi’s disqualification;
Chitavi is being accused of contravention of Article 75(1) of the constitution.
He is also accused of conviction in CF MSA ACC 2/2009 on 15/12/2011 for the offence of flouting tendering procedures in the award of medical insurance cover for the Mombasa water and Sewerage Company, in 2007/2008. He was sentenced to a fine of Kshs.800,000/= in default to serve 3years imprisonment. He paid the fine and persued no appeal the CEO wrote.
Chitavi vehemently refuted the allegations saying he got back his money which he paid as the fine after he successfully appealed in the High court.
“I have received this mail at 3.00p.m today, I would like to point out that the case mentioned herein went to high Court case 279 of 2011 and ruling was on 1.11.2013. The counts were 2 and one was dismissed. Court of Appeal case 11of 2014 being the current position. EACC are up to date. I still hold the IEBC certificate awarded to me by the Mombasa County RO after she was satisfied that I met the requirements. Thank you A Mkalla Charo Chitavi” Chitavi posted on his twitter handle
The letter was also copied to the SG United Democratic Party as well as Mwanyale and Kahindi Advocates.
On her part Mombasa County Returning Officer Nancy Wanjiku said she is not aware of any development pertaining Chitavi’s case.
“I don’t know anything, I remember i cleared him in the nominations and so far I do not have any information about his fate but let me check with the office and I will get back to you” RO Wanjiku said when contacted over the phone.
However Chitavi says the wars are just but political and a plan to lock him out of the race by a cartel of selfish individuals who are not ready for competition.
“This is a war on the scramble for the Mijikenda, Christian vote in Mombasa because some individuals do not want a strong Mijikenda candidate on the ballot” Chitavi wrote via sms.
Same allegations of his disqualification emerged moments after he was cleared for the seat but later they turned to be untrue for he claimed not to have received any official communication from the electoral body
By The Coast Newspaper Reporter
Thirdway Alliance is trying to reach out for KADU Asili in an attempt to form a pre election coalition.
Thirdway alliance presidential candidate running mate Emmanuel Kombe Nzai says the plan is to form partnership with small parties that have no presidential candidates.
Speaking to the Coast Newspaper over the phone on Wednesday, the deputy presidential candidate said their party has already reached out for several small political parties to actualize the same.
“As we speak Talks are going on at Tononoka in Mombasa between my people and those from KADU Asili to see how we can team up and form a coalition. We have also approached Hon Gunga Mwinga’s Devolution Party which does not have a presidential candidate as well and I can report to you that we are doing so well” Nzai said.
He said their party is also targeting independent candidates who could be interested to team up with them.
“We have initiated some discussions with several independent candidates and most of them have shown positive response towards our request” he added.
Nzai was however quick to dismiss allegations that KADU Asili is a sister party of Jubilee.
“I know the gubernatorial candidate for Kilifi could be supporting president Uhuru Kenyatta as a person but not the party and that’s why they’ve agreed to commence the talks on the coalition with my party”Nzai insisted.
KADU Asili has been calling for its supporters to vote a five piece system and decide on whom to vote for as the president in the August polls.
Meanwhile former Labour Cabinet Secretary Kazngu Kambi bagged in 60 million at a fundraiser held in Malindi over the weekend
Relatives, friends, business people and aspirants allied to Coast based Kadu-asili party congregated at Malindi's Billionaire Club and raised the money to help Kambi's campaigns kitty ahead of a tough battle against ODM's incumbent Amason Kingi and Jubilee's Kilifi North MP Gideon Mung'aro.
At a rally in Malindi after the fundraiser Kambi lured voters to reject Kingi accusing him of failing to deliver residents from grinding poverty.
Kambi and Kingi have been engaged in a war of words with the incumbent urging voters to reject the former Kaloleni MP accusing him of failing as a CS and being allied to Jubilee.
However Kambi has been defending himself against the accusations of abuse of office owing to the fact that he was cleared of the charges by the director of public prosecution.
"That I was exonerated by the DPP of abuse of office allegations shows am innocent. That I chose to vie on a Kadu-asili party ticket shows am not in Jubilee but I know Kingi is desperate after sensing defeat" said Kambi at Malindi amid cheers.
As Kambi goes to constituencies after the other, Kingi has of late been touring projects and addressing residents while Mung'aro engages in door to door campaigns each trying to get a share of the 510,000 Kilifi County votes.
By The Coast Newspaper Reporter
Cruise Tourism is growing at a very impressive rate compared to other sectors in the tourism industry.
Chairman of the Cruise Indian Ocean Association Catherine Mturi-Wairi said the cruise industry recorded 24 million passengers in 2016, making a dramatic increase from 15 million 10 years earlier.
Making her opening remarks at a Cruise Tourism workshop in Seychelles on Tuesday, Catherine said there is a need for Port Authorities and major stakeholders to collaborate with partners, grow the industry by offering unique experiences.
The Chairperson also stressed the need to embrace an integrated approach to the marketing and promotion of cruise tourism in Africa.
Catherine who is also the Kenya Ports Authority Managing Director challenged member states to take advantage of the enormous potential that exists in the region which is characterized by a great diversity of natural wonders on land and sea coupled with competitive ports and tourism bodies to support the cruise tourism industry.
“Considering that the Cruise sector is still in the growth stage of the industry life cycle, the region stands to gain immensely from its opportunity. The region represents an important niche for cruise development. The popularity of the safari/cruise package available in the region is growing rapidly” The KPA boss added.
Cruise Indian Ocean Association was founded under the auspices of Port Management Association of Eastern and Southern Africa (PMAESA), one of the regional bodies set up by the United Nations Economic Commission of Africa.
The idea of considering the cruise sector in the development of port infrastructure and growing the regional economies through tourism was born under this co-operation.
A standing committee on cruise tourism was formed with the specific objective of projecting a united image and working together in promoting destinations and establishing an Indian Ocean Cruise Association similar to the ones that exist in the Caribbean, Mediterranean and Europe.
Plans were later made to form a Cruise Association with the objective of collectively promoting the region as an attractive cruise destination and also to harmonize reception procedures.
The Association was officially launched in Mombasa on 18th November 2000.
This is the second time the Seychelles Ports Authority to host such forum to deliberate on Cruise tourism in the region.
Catherine said saturation of the traditional cruise circuits of North America, the Caribbean, Northwest Europe, the Far East and Australia, have offered an opportunity for new destinations.
“The trend to build modern, larger and faster vessels with quality onboard services, has made cruising more appealing to holiday makers. Africa, specifically Eastern and Southern Africa and the Indian Ocean Islands provide an excellent option to the traditional cruise circuits” she said
The Association Chairperson is optimistic and confident that the deliberations will enable the association to chart an appropriate and practical way forward with a view to fully exploiting the region’s cruise potential.
According to the constitution the key objectives of the association are:
To jointly promote and market the Eastern and Southern Africa region and South West Indian Ocean Islands.
To perform liaison functions between members and cruise line stake-holders in the industry.
To undertake research, develop and maintain a statistical database on port networks and all other information pertaining to cruise tourism worldwide.
The association is also mandated to provide a forum for a unified and integrated approach to cruise tourism.
The one day forum was also attended by the Seychelles Ports Authority Chief Executive Col. Andre Ciseau.